Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Outstretched Hand

Indeed, the Lord who commands armies has a plan, and who can possibly frustrate it? His hand is ready to strike, and who can possibly stop it. (Isaiah 14:27 NET_FL)

My sins, even the small ones, are anathema to God. He loves me but detests my treason.
“Do not do that,” he said. 
I did it in his face.
Holy wrath stirs and the mighty hand rises. It’s not some future event, it’s already moving against my corruption. The hand is poised, twitching with readiness to sweep me into the hellfire I deserve. Yet, it pauses. For a brief moment in history, it hovers. It is the moment of grace.
The hand of wrath was redirected against Jesus. By his wounds I am healed. During the moment of grace I may run to the place of his decimation and claim it as my own.
Because of the divine substitution, the outstretched hand will not harm me. It becomes a hand of protection and I take shelter beneath its reach. Love overshadows me. The hand will still fall soon, however, it will only crush my remaining sin. I myself will be safe with Christ.
God made his plan, foretold his intention, and began his fulfillment. Already the hand is outstretched. I cannot fein surprise when it slams down. I must hold myself in readiness, willing that God should release his might against evil and destroy every rebellion, including my own.

Prayer: Lord Almighty, let your hand fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment