Sunday, February 28, 2016

Better Than a Dream

More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things- indeed, I regard them as dung! (Philippians 3:8 NET_FL)

I drew the energy of the stars into a business plan for a human resources company. We would do everything God’s way. This company would treat people with dignity and donate profits to Christian missions. A baby company was conceived.

There were sharp labor pains. I invested everything, and borrowed beyond prudence. There were contractions of litigation and lack of market share. After much travail, the new company wiggled in excitement. We nursed it to profitability. During the company’s teenage years, however, sleepless nights returned. Clients failed to pay, and finances grew rebellious.

“You’ve had your dream, now wake up. I’ll show you real life,” God said. 

My eyes came open. Up to that point, I had no true purpose, eternal possessions, or real power. I sold the business at a loss and was ordained into the pastorate. Now I deal in commodities of truth, store treasures in heaven, and wrestle demons for human souls.

My vain dream was to build a company until I achieved material prosperity while honoring God on the side. My waking life is an ever-mounting adventure of ministry centered on faith, hope, and love. The death of my self-wrought dream was my greatest loss, and my greatest gain.


Prayer: Jesus, help me lose everything for a bigger life with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment