Sunday, February 14, 2016

Peace or Resistance

Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 NET_FL)

Josef’s brown Fijian cheeks bulge with kissable baby fat. The universe spins around the dimples of his smile. Right now, however, his wide nose and fuzzy head are furrowed as he lets out a low-pitched cry, like he’s trying to hold it in but can’t. At two years old, he doesn’t have words for why he’s hurting, doesn’t even know the reason himself. If he knew what it was, he couldn’t fix the problem anyway. He is totally dependent on his mother, Losana.

Losana, hears her son’s wail and recognizes the problem. She knows her precious son better than he knows himself. He recently ate, but now he’s tired and nothing in his world is right when fatigue hits his little body. Losana knows what Josef needs long before he does.

God knows my needs better than Losana knows Josef’s. I complain and cry, but he knows what my eternal soul needs most, even when I can’t articulate it myself. He knows my history, my circumstances, and my heart. Even if I fully understood my problems, I couldn’t fix them. I’m totally dependent on him.

God knows better than me what to do for me. But will I let him, or will I stiffen and wail? Peace or resistance, I can only choose one. Do I have God’s peace concerning my trials, or am I resisting his timing and methods? Which Josef am I? The dimpled smiling one, or the contorted bawling one?


Prayer: Father, I am small, you are great.




No comments:

Post a Comment